Present shopping can be a real pain though, and there’s only so many times you can give your loved one a generic gift set, socks, or a tin of biscuits before they decide to strike you off their card list. If I get one more shower gel…
Christmas is a great opportunity to shop small and support independent businesses. Not only does it give us the warm fuzzies, but you’re keeping our economy alive and our city streets unique! With this in mind, we decided to put together a handy list of some killer gifts available to purchase from the amazing artists we stock, and also a few other independent businesses.
Who doesn’t love a good slogan! These t-shirts are sold out in white but still available in red or yellow, and it’s only £25.
Or what about these awesome sticker packs? Perfect for slapping on your laptop, your car, or your bicycle! £5 each and available in store.
2. Can I interest you in a Parian porcelain brick?
Local artist Zara Lynass salvaged some of the rubble when the Orpheus building aka the CO-OP was demolished. She cast bricks from moulds of the original Orpheus bricks and has been able to create these precious mementos. £25 each.
4. Local greetings card by Hunter Paper Co.
Emails are boring; send your loved ones some handwritten Christmas wishes with one of these beaut cards. Emma creates her entire range using her very own letterpress, which are bound to leave an impression (sorry- couldn’t resist) on your friends and family! £3 each and available in store.
6. Amigurumi (the Japanese art of knitting and crocheting small, stuffed creatures)
Victoria, owner of Picture of Grace, designs and makes each and every one of her creations from scratch!
The perfect gift for kids and adults alike. Prices start from £15.
10. Something for all the crazy cat ladies…
Say Mewwy Christmas with these cool little greetings cards by local artist and illustrator A Rose Cast. Karen illustrates and designs for clients as well as her own stationery range.
14. Artwork by graffiti kingpin and inventor of the Ink Nouveau style Inkie.
Earn serious brownie points with an original painting or pick up one of his prints for that special someone. Prices start from £45.
15. A copy of Freckle magazine
There’s nothing like curling up on the sofa with a good read. Immerse yourself this holiday season with a local mag dedicated to celebrating the people and landscapes of Northern Ireland and beyond. £6.
Here at Ink Monkey we have gift sets, notebooks and pens to cater for all artists, doodlers and stationery nerds alike. We also have a range of prints and framed pieces as well as Tommy’s handmade skateboard lamps; they're fully PAT tested, and for every one we sell we'll donate £5 to Assisi Animal Sanctuary! A perfect gift for the guys!
18. For a plethora of handmade presents ideas, get yourself to the Fine & Dandy market on the 17th of December. There’ll be 30+ local artists, designers and crafters selling their wares; you’ll be spoilt for choice for gift ideas and inspiration. There’s FREE parking, FREE entry, and a lovely coffee shop, all under one roof at the Crescent Arts Centre. Perfect for a day out with the family!
19. Co Couture chocolate
For all of you chocoholics out there, this is the place to be... One of the top 10 hot chocolates in the world (they have the certificates to prove it!) and some truly amazing gift boxes, all made right in the heart of Belfast.
20. Fancy making your own candle?
Look no further. The Bearded Candle Makers have gorgeous gift vouchers for their scent blending workshops in Bullitt Belfast. Each person gets a glass of bubbly on arrival before learning about all things scented.
21. Another world of awesome gifts awaits at the Craft Room in Comber. They stock a curated variety of locally made arts, crafts, and homewares. Open from 9:30-4:30 daily, so you’ll have all the inspiration you need for this Christmas.